Rooi-Jan Printed Teddy Pattern
Rooi-Jan teddy bear is a 25cm (10 inches) traditional style teddy bear. He has simple pattern pieces and is easy to put together. You can make Rooi-Jan using mohair or synthetic fabric. He has glass eyes and movable joints. The Rooi-Jan teddy bear sewing pattern is suitable for teddy bear makers of all skill levels.
This vintage-style bear is the perfect addition to your teddy bear collection. He sits comfortably in a shelf or display cabinet and he displays beautifully with other toys.
Rooi-Jan was designed by Liezel Lubbe for Bresbears.
This a Rooi-Jan printed teddy pattern. A printed teddy bear sewing pattern is a great choice because you will receive the pattern templates ready to cut out and printed instructions that you can refer to on your worktable as you sew. Once you have paid for your order, we will ship the pattern sheets and instructions to your delivery address.
What Fabric is Suitable to Make this Bear?
We made our Rooi-Jan using feathered mohair with a sparse pile. You can also use slightly more furry mohair, or even synthetic fabric.
Supplies List for the Bear:
- Fabric – 50cm x 35cm (1/8m) feathered mohair or synthetic fabric
- Eyes – 9mm black glass
- Joints – 20mm discs with split pins or screws
- Nose Thread – black embroidery thread no 8
- Paw Pads – a square of suede or velvet
Sewing Tools and General Supplies:
In addition to the items in the supplies list, you will need fiber fill stuffing, sewing thread, and possibly some glass beads or lead shot to weight the bear.
Have the following tools on hand:
- Fabric marking pen to mark out the pattern pieces on the fabric
- Small sharp scissors for cutting out
- Hand sewing needles
- A long doll needle to insert the eyes
- A hemostat or stuffing tool
- Needle nose pliers for the joints
Hand Sewing or Sewing Machine?
We prefer to sew our bears entirely by hand. You can save time by sewing the long seams using a sewing machine. However, you will still need to do some hand-finishing.