Toby Felt Dog Pattern
Toby is a 22cm (8 1/2 inches) fully jointed dog. He’s made from felt, with glass eyes. This unusual puppy with a punk hairdo and a collar studded with beads is a toy any child will treasure and play with for hours. If you want to make Toby for your own collection, you could use mohair or synthetic fur instead of felt. This sewing pattern is suitable for beginner to intermediate level teddy bear makers.
This is the printed version of the pattern. It consists of full-size pattern sheets, instructions, and a pattern cover with a colour photo. A printed soft toy pattern is a great choice because you will receive the pattern templates ready to cut out and instructions that you can lay out on our work table to refer to as you sew. Once you have paid for your order, we will ship the pattern to your delivery address.
What Fabric is Suitable to Make this Dog?
We made our Toby using felt. He will also look good in mohair or synthetic fur, and you could even use corduroy, denim, or cotton fabric to make him.
Supplies List for Toby:
- Fabric – Felt 40cm x 25cm white
- Fabric – Felt 25cm x 10cm black
- Fabric – Felt 1.5cm x 10cm red
- Eyes – 8mm
- Joints – 25mm discs with split pins or screws, strong thread for thread jointing the arms and legs
- Nose Thread – black or coloured embroidery thread no 5 for nose etc.
- Pipe Cleaner for tail
- 3 Black buttons
- 6 Gold beads
- Scrap of long pile fur to make the hair
Sewing Tools and General Supplies:
In addition to the soft toy sewing pattern and the items in the supplies list above, you will need fiber fill stuffing, sewing thread, and possibly some glass beads or lead shot to weight the toy.
Have the following tools on hand:
- Fabric marking pen to mark out the pattern pieces on the fabric
- Small sharp scissors for cutting out
- Hand sewing needles
- A long doll needle to insert the eyes
- A hemostat or stuffing tool
- Needle nose pliers for the joints
Hand Sewing or Sewing Machine?
We prefer to sew our bears entirely by hand. You can save time by sewing the seams using a sewing machine. However, you will still need to do some hand-finishing.
We’re discontinuing printed patterns and all stock is on sale! Have a look at our full range of printed teddy bear patterns for more bargains.