TooHoot Felt Bird Pattern
This pattern will let you make a 5cm or 10cm felt pin cushion. You can also just make the little birds for decorations, wrist bands and hair bands. Each bird needs small scraps of felt and you can make them as colourful as you like. The pattern is very quick and easy. It is suitable for beginner sewers as well as skilled crafters.
The pattern sheets contain full-size templates and you will receive detailed instructions with diagrams.
What Fabric is Suitable to Use With the TooHoot Felt Bird Pattern?
We made our Toohoot pin cushion birds using scraps of felt. You can also use mini bear velvet, synthetic fur, or even printed cotton if you re-inforce it with iron-on interfacing.
Full Supplies List:
- An assortment of brightly coloured felt scraps
- Velcro or a large press-stud if you’re making a wrist band
- Matching sewing thread or embroidery thread
- Optional: sequins, beads, feathers, etc. for accessorizing
Sewing Tools and General Supplies:
In addition to the TooHoot bird pin cushion pattern and the items in the supplies list above, you will need fiber fill stuffing, sewing thread, and possibly some glass beads or lead shot to weight the birds.
Have the following tools on hand:
- Fabric marking pen to mark out the pattern pieces on the fabric
- Small sharp scissors for cutting out
- Hand sewing needles
- A long doll needle to insert the eyes
- A hemostat or stuffing tool
Hand Sewing or Sewing Machine?
We prefer to sew our toys entirely by hand. You can save time by sewing the long seams using a sewing machine. However, you will still need to do some hand-finishing.
Did this pattern awaken your interest in soft toy making? Have a look at our full range of sewing patterns for more inspiration.