Rooibossie Artist Bear Pattern
Rooibossie is a 55cm (22 inches) generously sized fully jointed teddy bear. She’s made from winter weight fabric, with glass eyes and movable joints. The teddy bear has an elegant slender shape, making this pattern ideal if you want to dress your teddy bear. The pattern for the dress is included. Although we used dressmaking fabric for our bear, you could also make Rooibossie with synthetic fur or mohair. This sewing pattern is suitable for beginner to intermediate teddy bear makers.
This is the printed version of the Rooibossie artist bear pattern. A printed teddy bear pattern is a great choice because you will receive the pattern templates ready to cut out and printed instructions that you can refer to on your worktable as you sew. Once you have paid for your order, we will ship the pattern sheets and instructions to your delivery address.
What Fabric is Suitable to Make this Bear?
We made our Rooibossie using winter weight dress fabric. She will also look good in short mohair or synthetic fur, and you could even use corduroy, denim, or cotton fabric to make her.
Supplies List for Rooibossie and her dress:
- Fabric – 50cm winter weight fabric for the bear
- 50cm fusible interfacing (optional)
- Tiny piece of cream suede for inner ears and paws
- 14mm eyes
- 35mm and 30mm wooden joints
- Nose Thread – black or coloured embroidery thread no 5
- 50cm x 75cm calico for the dress
- Cotton fabric for hearts and flowers
- 6 Buttons and 3 press studs
- Rooibossie’s shoes are store-bought
Sewing Tools and General Supplies:
In addition to the teddy bear pattern and the items in the supplies lists above, you will need fiber fill stuffing, sewing thread, and possibly some glass beads or lead shot to weight the bear.
Have the following tools on hand:
- Fabric marking pen to mark out the pattern pieces on the fabric
- Small sharp scissors for cutting out
- Hand sewing needles
- A long doll needle to insert the eyes
- A hemostat or stuffing tool
- Needle nose pliers for the joints
Hand Sewing or Sewing Machine?
We prefer to sew our bears entirely by hand. You can save time by sewing the seams using a sewing machine. However, you will still need to do some hand-finishing.
We’re discontinuing printed patterns and all stock is on sale! Have a look at our full range of printed teddy bear patterns for more bargains.