Ruffin PDF Teddy Pattern
Ruffin teddy bear is a 25cm (10 inches) traditional style teddy bear. He has a hump and the body is made of four pieces joined together. This makes him slightly more tricky to assemble but it gives the bear a beautiful shape. You can make Ruffin using mohair or synthetic fabric. He has glass eyes and movable joints. The Ruffin teddy bear sewing pattern is suitable for intermediate and advanced teddy bear makers.
This vintage-style bear is the perfect addition to your teddy bear collection. He sits comfortably in a shelf or display cabinet and he displays beautifully with other toys.
What Fabric is Suitable to Make this Bear?
We made our Ruffin using feathered mohair with a sparse pile. You can also use slightly more furry mohair, or even synthetic fabric.
Full Supplies List:
- Fabric – 50cm x 35cm (1/8m) feathered mohair or synthetic fabric
- Eyes – 8mm black glass
- Joints – 20mm discs with split pins or screws
- Nose Thread – black embroidery thread no 8
- Paw Pads – a square of suede or velvet
Sewing Tools and General Supplies:
In addition to the Ruffin PDF teddy pattern and the items in the supplies list above, you will need fiber fill stuffing, sewing thread, and possibly some glass beads or lead shot to weight the bear.
Have the following tools on hand:
- Fabric marking pen to mark out the pattern pieces on the fabric
- Small sharp scissors for cutting out
- Hand sewing needles
- A long doll needle to insert the eyes
- A hemostat or stuffing tool
- Needle nose pliers for the joints
Hand Sewing or Sewing Machine?
We prefer to sew our bears entirely by hand. You can save time by sewing the seams using a sewing machine. However, you will still need to do some hand-finishing.